Skip to main content

Virtue, an uncommon Practice.

When you think of the word virtue, you might think of hard work. Trying to be good in fact seems like it would be a fruitless and tiring exercise. There are only so many saints, so many truly "good" people who have walked this earth, and vice is so appealing and it is so much more easier. The question of theology must be considered, when talking this way about virtue, and we must ask ourselves as Christians on what merit am I saved. The easy way out is to say that Jesus has done it all for me, therefore I need not try to better myself or sanctify myself. It is not just a work of God but there is some human effort required. But this human effort, in my view is a combination of the holy spirit empowering us, and our yielding to the power of the holy spirit. It does take resistance to sin to be virtuous, but as Anglican theologian N.T. Wright points out we have to keep our eschatological view in mind, that being our resurrection into new life. As a Catholic, I keep in mind the differences in theology, as I have yet to study virtue from a Catholic point of view.

What I do know is there is a moral law we hold as Catholics, and grace is empowered through sacramental life in the church, but to desire holiness is definitely fruit of the spirit. My point is not to Catholicize this blog, but to give some biblical advice as to what role virtue plays in our salvation. Obviously there must be a craving for spiritual or religious life or we wouldn't be talking about this. So I must ask the question what does it mean to be saved? In my opinion, or should I say what I believe about faith, is that there must be a real conversion to spiritual life. By spiritual life, I don't just mean reciting a prayer or getting baptised. I believe that we are saved by our faith, but I believe that our faith must be acted upon, by living a virtuous life.

I believe the church can help us do this, but I believe it is our responsibility to try to work our way to Heaven. I do not believe we are saved by good works, I believe in Justification by faith, but I believe our moral actions can and do affect our salvation. I believe that one must work out their salvation, not to earn faith, but to prove it. There are a lot of saints who look just like the world, and are even unkind. Moral action is necessary to prove your salvation, because without holiness no one would see the Lord. I don't believe that we have to prove our morality to God, I believe we have to prove it to man. Living a just life is part of being part of a just society. I do not mean perfection, but I mean living out your faith, like it really matters.

I don't want to add anything to what Jesus did for us on the cross, but like someone who is running a race we must run with excellence. We are all on a journey, but those who finish know where they are going, eschatologically. Through our faith, we believe, and through this we are saved. The desire must be there, or we won't have our goal in mind, and virtue plays an important role because in sight of our destination, which is heaven, we won't have the desire to work out what God has already given us.
This is Mike.           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

Ontarian's to possibly extend Daylight Savings time till next Spring.

Ontarian's to possibly extend Daylight Savings time till next Spring. Regardless as to why we started this time change, it has been in effect many years before I was born, or my Parents were born. I understand that some people can benefit with the extra sunlight in the winter time, but I want to give you a definition of our circadian rhythm as humans. circadian rhythm (/sɜːrˈkeɪdiən/) is any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These 24-hour rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and they have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi, and cyanobacteria. In other words, our bodies are biological clocks that operate within the realm of time, and time is measured by how much daylight is in a day. Our bodies adjust to time, but it takes time and a steady exposure to sunlight during the day to set our internal clocks. When we experience time changes, our bodies change along with the 24 hour day cycle. When we over-extend ...