Skip to main content

An inconvinient truth.

No this topic doesn't refer to Al Gore, that said, I would like to talk about hospitals and the counselling that most hospitals administer through a Chaplin. I am a regular person with regular thoughts, but when I feel overwhelmed I make my way to my local hospital where I find solace and guidance through the ministry of the Chaplaincy, more specifically the spiritual resources associated with that. Although I am no longer an out patient, I still feel a very strong connection to the time I spent as a patient back in 1999 and because I still struggle with those same issues, the community does have resources still available to me, albeit there is now red tape to cross over (in a metaphorical sense) if I still want to be a member of that community (which I am) but to participate in those other things that the hospital offers for people like me.

I am a firm believer in the local church in times of crisis, but what the local church cannot offer in the same way as a hospital, is a bed and doctors for someone who is experiencing a psychological crisis which may have lasting consequences for the person suffering and the family involved. Hence the ministry of the Chaplin. I have tried to develop a relationship with my Chaplin, and I think that although he doesn't know my name, I believe he knows who I am.

I have gone to him several times, just to talk, his name is Don Shields. Back in 1999 I had a patient doctor relationship with the chief of psychiatry at Markham's Hospital, which lead me to seek further help from the programs that the hospital administers. To me, Markham Stouffville Hospital is a second home, I frequently visit the hospital to pray and to seek spiritual guidance, and for that I am thankful. I like being in an environment that is safe, and I still consider myself to be a recovering patient, more than an out patient and thankful for the religious freedoms, and the Chaplaincy that has ministered to me in the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

The Parable of the Ten Virgins.

 Matthew 25:1-13 I have discovered a remarkable interpretation of this parable that I would like to share with you. The story in the Bible goes like this:    “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.   2  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.   3  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.   4  The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.   5  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6  “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7  “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.   8  The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ 9  “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy som...