Skip to main content

Holy Thursday.

Holy Thursday.

I had a remarkable experience after attending an evangelical church for a long time, and then returning to the Catholic Church that I grew up attending. While I was evangelical, most of my time was spent serving other people. I experienced burn out quite often, so coming back to the Catholic Church and being served, took me a while to adjust to. One of the moments that stood out for me was Easter 2016, in fact it was Holy Thursday. Being away from the Catholic Church for so long, I had no recollection of the tradition we do on Holy Thursday. I was seated near the choir with my mom and dad, when all the priests took off their vestments and began to address us saying they were about to wash our feet. I got excited because I was used to being in a church where we served the leaders, but I was there just witnessing a huge sign of humility. The Priests were just about to serve us!

I began to prepare myself to walk down the isle of the church, which I did when it was my turn, and I anxiously waited in line in front of the baptismal font and father Rick. Father Rick is no longer at my parish as Catholic priests usually go from church to church, but he was a highly effective priest, and I admired his passionate way he gave a sermon. As he began to wash my feet, I remembered the verse in the bible that Jesus said before these verses; "When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." John 13:12-17 | NIV

The verse that I remembered was this one; "Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” John 13:7 | NIV

When father Rick washed my feet, it produced in me a great feeling of thankfulness and relief and gratitude! I was happy that I could be served and not feel guilty about it. It made me think of all the hard spiritual work that I had been doing, and was now somehow justified. I felt welcomed back into the church, without kicking and screaming. I somehow knew what Jesus meant when he told his disciples to wash one another's feet. It wasn't just a tradition, it was an act of humility and service. God came to serve us, he came to wash our feet. He came to humbly care for us. This is Mike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

The Parable of the Ten Virgins.

 Matthew 25:1-13 I have discovered a remarkable interpretation of this parable that I would like to share with you. The story in the Bible goes like this:    “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.   2  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.   3  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.   4  The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.   5  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6  “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7  “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.   8  The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ 9  “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy som...