Skip to main content

The Joy in being Small.

I'll have to admit, life can get pretty crazy at times and just when you feel you have a handle on things, it seems like life has given you a whole new set of problems. I can't complain right now, things are relatively calm in my life right now, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing that I worry about. In fact, for me, it is during these times of relative calmness that I find my self worrying the most. My health is fine, I'm eating well but as the years progress I find that I am developing an uncertainty about life that didn't exist in my 20's or 30's. Being a religious man, I find that sometimes even if you are not careful, you can let the mundane things in your everyday life transfer over into your faith. My faith began when I was 21, and I'm finding that as I age and maintain my faith, I am almost trying to play it safe and not take any risks for the sake of my beliefs.

I have always been very zealous for the things I believe in but in my 40's I am finding that I want things to be settled spiritually, when in fact they never are nor should be. If someone was to ask you if you found God, what would you answer them. In my 20's, my immediate answer would be "yes." But the fact that I even hesitate at this question now reveals to me that I have started to compartmentalize parts of my faith, and questions that I feel I need the answers to, no longer are being sought after by faith but through ignorance. When we don't know why things work the way they do, our first response is to run from them. As a Christian it is my job to provide answers to those of you who are suffering or are in pain, not to ease my conscience but yours. Jesus was not just an example to me, so I could live my faith in imitation of his teachings! He was and is much more to me than that. When I say that Jesus is my Saviour, I mean to say that he is saving me and has saved me from my sins. The whole point of Jesus dying on the cross wasn't so that I could just go to Heaven when I die, It was to sanctify me. I'll explain.

The bible teaches that we must be holy if we are to see God, (Hebrews 12:14 ESV) Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. This desire to live a holy life is unnatural in it's essence. The default position of most human beings is self glorification and self love. There is nothing wrong with loving yourself, but the desire for God must be the saints highest goal. Frankly, I am sick and tired of people filling the church of Christ with a half hearted attitude towards salvation. It is evident now that worldliness has invaded God's church. This comes from the attitude that I need my God and I need other things too, or to say it in a very different way, Jesus allows me to sin because He has forgiven me. I believe the number one sin in the church right now is self love and laziness. I don't really believe these people will make it, if they keep these kinds of attitudes up.

Someone will say, my salvation is my salvation and don't you dare tell me how to live my Christian life. I'm going to Heaven even if I have to break down those pearly gates to do it! Hey, if that is your attitude more power to you. I'm not trying to play God here, I think the Lord knows what I am trying to say, and I believe if he could speak through me, he would say something to the effect that he died for everyone. Also I believe that we cannot be indifferent to living a holy life. As I get older, holiness is looking much different than it did to me when I was younger. It's not that I have somehow lowered my standards, I think with age you get experience and you take things less seriously. Not to diminish the price that Christ paid for my redemption, but to see my salvation in an even more personal way, and definitely a more "practical way." The love of God should translate into all areas of life, not just the convenient ones. I think this is the lesson that God is teaching me now.

Practical holiness should lead to practical actions that are righteous, or in other words "faith without works is dead." We are justified by faith, and we are kept through faith ( 1 Peter 1:5 NASB) who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. This is why our faith is so important because with out our faith we will not be sanctified and that means we will not go to Heaven when we die. Can Christians loose their salvation? Salvation was paid for by Jesus Christ, and it is through faith in what he did for us, through his life, death, and resurrection that we are born again to new life. Salvation hasn't happened, it is happening right now, that is why we must say I am currently being saved, not I am saved (even though that is true.) Trying to keep your salvation is Jesus' job. My job is to keep my faith. This is Mike.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Bible Verses on Money.

  Bible verses about money. I bet you didn’t think the bible said that? Proverbs 23:5 When you glance at wealth, it disappears, for it makes wings for itself and flies like an eagle to the sky.  1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. Proverbs 13:11 Wealth quickly gained is quickly wasted — easy come, easy go! But if you gradually gain wealth, you will watch it grow. Psalm 62:10 Don’t make your living by extortion or put your hope in stealing. And if your wealth increases, don’t make it the centre of your life. Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again. Malachi 3:10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that

How Believing in God Changes Your Perspective on Time.

  When you have an awareness of the Divine your perspective on time changes. Uncertainty can be the cause of a lack of belief in God. In generations past our culture has had more of an awareness of God and lived with more certainty. The bible is not just a story book for the present moment, it contains the past, the present, and the future in it. The Holy Spirit can give us a perspective that holds the past, the present, and the future, and allows us to see God’s whole picture, despite what we may be feeling or experiencing around us or in our lives.   Trials and persecution can make it difficult to see the whole picture, but I believe that it’s a gift of God to live with this perspective. Unbelief can hinder us from “seeing it all” and insecurities and weaknesses can also disable us from living with this certainty. Also the fear of death, or impending doom, can erase God’s perspective of the future, because our minds get clouded with fear, and we are not able to perceive reality prope

Why has the church lost its capacity and power?

  The church has modernized itself and in the process has lost something very valuable. It has lost its capacity to be personable. The way we reach lost souls is by seeing them, by getting to know them, and by recognizing them, but people are getting lost in the church. The church has become a busy place and is also becoming a less holy place. To make disciples we have to get to know people, and technology in the church is depersonalizing souls, and depersonalizing God for them. Faith becomes a marketable commodity, whereas in the past, churches and their leaders nourished and valued personal faith. While faith is still valued, it’s becoming something that is marketable, which reminds me of the story of Jesus in the temple turning over tables (Matthew 21:12-17). The problem isn’t that the church doesn’t work or doesn’t want to share the gospel, it could be how we are doing it. The church is currently being run like a business, and each Christian metaphorically speaking has a profit val