Skip to main content

Congratulations Raptors on NBA Victory.

Why Sports are Good for this Country.

I first want to congratulate the Toronto Raptors for uniting the city of Toronto and possibly the country. I remember growing up in the days of Vince Carter, and if I'm not mistaken I have seen one Raptors game in my lifetime. That doesn't stop me from becoming a Raptors fan, and jumping on the band wagon as they were winning their division. I played a lot of hockey in my life, but I really enjoy watching basketball. Our high school team had a really good basketball team, and I learned the basics of basketball through a friend who was a really good player. God didn't give me the talent to shoot hoops, but I always enjoyed watching the taller players in high school do the slam dunks, which I learned is really hard to do in a game.

I don't pretend to know how the game has changed over the years, but it sure was fun watching Toronto's Raptors make history twice, first by making the finals, then by winning it all. Today I spent about 7 hours in front of the television watching the Parade in Toronto, and because I don't drive anymore, it was fun seeing all the older streets in the Parade route. I was watching with my parents, and we were all overwhelmed at the 3 million people that flooded our precious city, as we silently prayed for safety for all our brothers and sisters. There were families and all kinds of people cheering on our team, which brought great pride to Raptors fans everywhere, even if like me, you just joined the band wagon this year.

We all want our lives to count and we all want to be remembered in the right way. It's part of our common human nature to want to touch greatness, and to feel that our lives mattered in the end. Canadian sports has demonstrated over the years that it fosters a sense of community and unity, that would be otherwise impossible being that we are such a diverse culture. This is why the Raptors mean so much to everyone right now.

We have had such bad news over the past 20 years, these have been difficult days for many people, and anything that gives us hope and unity should be cherished and protected. I was surprised to see our Prime Minister at the Celebration today, and I think that it took a lot of class for him to do that. I'm writing this as a victory for all Canadians everywhere. If I had children, I would definitely be telling them, or celebrating with their generation. Congratulations to the Toronto Raptors, we all are very proud of you and we love you all, and thanks again for bringing this city such love and joy.   This is Mike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

The Parable of the Ten Virgins.

 Matthew 25:1-13 I have discovered a remarkable interpretation of this parable that I would like to share with you. The story in the Bible goes like this:    “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.   2  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.   3  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.   4  The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.   5  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6  “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7  “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.   8  The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ 9  “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy som...