Skip to main content

Christian, My Sanctification in a Hospital bed.

In 1999 I went into crisis. I was experiencing a mental illness for the first time in my life and I felt like I was dying. I had been exposed to mental illness before with family, but this was happening to me and my pride was being deeply cut down. I write about my story in a book called "Hearts Linked by Courage" by the Canadian Mental Health Association available in Canada, so I don't want to go into to many details here that I talked about in my story. Some time ago I read a story of a christian who was very sick, and wondering how God would use them now that they were confined to a hospital bed. The conclusion was that in that very bed that they were put by God, she still had a mind and she still had the holy spirit. How could she work out her sanctification and salvation, (Philippians 2:12 NIV) "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling." Surely God still had a plan for her life, but what could that be now being confined to a hospital bed?

Back to my story, I too spent time in a hospital bed and I have been spending a lot of time confined by my illness. How does God's sanctification plan apply to those people like me, who are disabled? We still have a mind and we can use that mind to meditate and think about the things of God. If our bodies are diseased God still can work in our lives, it's just not the same way he works in other peoples lives! God uses our hospital bed as a way to make us holy. If all we are left with is our thoughts, we can fight the devil and the devils that try to take us away from God. God is still present with us even if we cannot leave our beds, or our rooms. The battle is fought on the hospital bed because we still have faith, and we can still try to take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV) "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

It is a very different fight when we are on our hospital bed, when we feel that there is no comfort and nothing can help us is when the light breaks through. We realize that we still have a soul that is saved, and we realize that all our other faculties work. We needn't worry who is going to win the battle because God fights with us. When we are left to fight alone, we can hear the voice of God in our spirits and be uplifted by our truth and by our faith. This is Mike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

The Parable of the Ten Virgins.

 Matthew 25:1-13 I have discovered a remarkable interpretation of this parable that I would like to share with you. The story in the Bible goes like this:    “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.   2  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.   3  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.   4  The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.   5  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6  “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7  “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.   8  The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ 9  “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy som...