Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye To St. Patricks.

There are times in a persons life where the words seem meaningless. It's not like my childhood church is disappearing, in fact it isn't going anywhere. I am saying goodbye to it because I no longer live within her boundaries! With the growth of the city I live in, my childhood parish is overcrowded. There are so many people going to this church that they have to build a new church in the small city I live in. Markham used to be a town, and with growth comes change. The reason why this comes as shock is because my family's home is a 5 minute drive to the church, and even easier to get there on the bus. So why would "we" be out of their district? There has been huge growth in the area where I live and within the new boundaries for the new catholic church. The question was asked, "why did they do it that way?" It makes sense geographically. I know this because of my short time at Trent University as a part time student studying environmental science. Mapping the city of Markham, formerly a town, would be a great exercise for those who have no sense of the population growth.

Just recently, a friend took me up on a rooftop where I could see the city of Markham from a very high perspective. It looked wonderful! Despite all the growth that has been happening there are so many trees in Markham, that everywhere I looked, north, south, east, and west, there were trees covering the city of Markham. What a blessing. It can be a very hard task to set boundaries for something like a church, but that is what mapping does. It gives you a perspective of where things like schools are, and you would think that setting boundaries would be done by looking at your church roll, but that could only help you in a way that is akin to accounting. It takes someone trained in geography to set boundaries, but there is a human element you need to consider because of the nature of the building.

Being a part of a church affects all areas of your life. If you have no transportation to your place of worship (which in modern times is next to impossible) it can affect your mental health. There are people who may not be on board with a new church but from my experience with religion I know that when you really want something you go and get it. It might be an inconvenience for some but for others it is an opportunity. Where your treasure lies, there your heart lies. People go to church for different reasons, some go for the social aspect and a sense of security and others go just to meet with God. I believe the latter will do better being a part of a new church.

I am very excited for the parish in Markham establishing a new church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

The Parable of the Ten Virgins.

 Matthew 25:1-13 I have discovered a remarkable interpretation of this parable that I would like to share with you. The story in the Bible goes like this:    “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.   2  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.   3  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.   4  The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.   5  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6  “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7  “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.   8  The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ 9  “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy som...