Skip to main content

Mental Illness, Not a Death Sentence.

 I was touched with difficulty with my mental health in 1999, I was 25 years old. At first, I was angry and afraid, but eventually I came to peace with myself by accepting what was going on and receiving the help that was offered. I was originally told that there was no cure for what I was experiencing, but my faith told me God would see me through it. I was right. After all these years of caring for myself and receiving treatment, I have come to understand that you can still live a happy life, despite having problems with your mental health.


I have met many people who suffer similarly and became their friends, and one of the things I have learned is that acceptance among peers is really important for those suffering with their mental health. Canada just conducted a committee and recommended that euthanasia should not be allowed for those whose sole cause is a mental illness. I agree. When I first dealt with my mental health in 1999, euthanasia was illegal in Canada, and I personally wish that it stayed that way. Yes, there are times when people feel despondent, but back then if someone was despondent you would encourage them, and try to cheer them up, rather than offering them death. 


It sounds so strange to talk this way, but we need voices that are counter culture and that give hope. Psychiatrists and the mental health community plays an important role in helping others stay well, and get better, if death was an option, there would be less motivation to genuinely care and help those who are suffering to stay alive and get better. Some of the dearest people were those I found in the mental health community, a lot has changed now, but people are still the same. When someone receives care that is ethical and good, it gives the patient something to hope for. When our society says it’s ok to give up, those who are vulnerable are affected. Consequently, when our society says it’s wrong to give up, the vulnerable are positively affected as well. I found my own hope through my mental health crisis, and I encourage others to do the same. Hope is found when a community and a country say yes to life, and no to death. This is Mike.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Christian Marriage. (Short)

On Christian Marriage. (Short) The modern co-habitation crisis has produced a lot of single moms and dads, and has fractured "family units" allowing other family members and relatives to take a bigger role in these "Separated families." There isn't a "one cause" why families have separated or divorced, it is a complicated issue, sometimes resulting in very hard emotions for Society to process. Things like the "millennial sexual revolution" have contributed to the widespread "non-committal" attitude, which in turn has given the traditional marriage the "black eye" it currently has and has turned many Christian men away from seeking a life partner. The more society devalues "traditional marriage" the more co-habitation you will see in all the other generations as well as the Millennials. This is Mike.

Why Christians must show Mutual Concern for One another.

  Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. Psalm 142:4. Christians in the church should have mutual concern for one another, this is what it means to be part of the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:25. It’s takes good pastoral leadership to foster this sense of concern, and where it is missing, individuals who are suffering in the church are overlooked and not supported. Every believer needs support and encouragement, but when this is missing, the church divides and loses it power and testimony. Christians live like the world, and become vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when nobody is supporting them outside the church. I used to belong to an evangelical church which had great leadership, and something called small groups. This church felt like a family and I had people who shared my Christian walk with me when I was not in the church building. I have been attending a different denomination that doesn’t hav...

Ontarian's to possibly extend Daylight Savings time till next Spring.

Ontarian's to possibly extend Daylight Savings time till next Spring. Regardless as to why we started this time change, it has been in effect many years before I was born, or my Parents were born. I understand that some people can benefit with the extra sunlight in the winter time, but I want to give you a definition of our circadian rhythm as humans. circadian rhythm (/sɜːrˈkeɪdiən/) is any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These 24-hour rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and they have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi, and cyanobacteria. In other words, our bodies are biological clocks that operate within the realm of time, and time is measured by how much daylight is in a day. Our bodies adjust to time, but it takes time and a steady exposure to sunlight during the day to set our internal clocks. When we experience time changes, our bodies change along with the 24 hour day cycle. When we over-extend ...