Skip to main content

How the Church has Changed Since COVID.

 It was a shock to hear that my church was closing at the start of COVID. I thought for sure that the second coming of Jesus was going to happen. I remember thinking that the Great Apostasy was happening because churches all over the world were closing their doors, and people of faith were left to fend for themselves. People went online, and are still online, even though some of these people can attend their church. I remember warning people that before COVID-19 that the church would loose something if they would go totally digital. I warned people that they would forget to know how to connect to the real presence of God, if they continued in this way. 

I have seen it happen, people losing their faith, and the real sense of God's presence because they prefer technology. In the 1990's I learned how to practise the presence of God, I didn't have internet, it was the olden days, and I was a happy youth. I knew God, and I lived in his presence continually. I didn't have to strive to muster up my faith, it was always with me! When I went to church God was always there. I didn't have to attend a small group, and there was much more freedom than now. 

Christians were respected when I was growing up, there wasn't hatred for them, or the church. I chose a path that I was most comfortable with, it was a sect, but I still worshipped Jesus. In 1999 I had a crisis in my faith, and the world began to change. As I entered a new relationship with God, the things I took for granted were taken away from me. I lost a lot of things, and I felt like Job from the bible, my life became suffering for the first time, then 911 hit. The world was plunged into fear, and despite this tragedy, I felt more free to come out of my suffering, and witness the suffering of the world. 

My suffering felt small compared to it all, and I actually regained the faith that I had thought I lost in 1999. I began my journey of emotional healing, yet still experiencing suffering, answers were coming to me from the Christian church. As many began challenging Christianity, I was picking up the broken pieces of my life, and finding great joy in living out my faith once again. 20 years went by, and then COVID-19 hit. I felt like it interrupted my party with Jesus. I was doing well, I still had problems, but I thought to myself, that things are still going to get better. 

I think COVID-19 has given the church a new perspective on suffering. I can see how suffering in this life is essential. I lived 25 years of my life with very little suffering, so living in this time in history shows me that anybody can suffer. We don't like suffering, but when we see through our pain, we live as though there isn't any. Heaven promises an end to all suffering, and what that will look like, I don't know. COVID-19 has opened my eyes to expect the mercy of God, not in a presumptuous way, but in little ways that validate my humanity and the humanity of others who are suffering also. This is Mike. 


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Bible Verses on Money.

  Bible verses about money. I bet you didn’t think the bible said that? Proverbs 23:5 When you glance at wealth, it disappears, for it makes wings for itself and flies like an eagle to the sky.  1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. Proverbs 13:11 Wealth quickly gained is quickly wasted — easy come, easy go! But if you gradually gain wealth, you will watch it grow. Psalm 62:10 Don’t make your living by extortion or put your hope in stealing. And if your wealth increases, don’t make it the centre of your life. Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again. Malachi 3:10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that

How Believing in God Changes Your Perspective on Time.

  When you have an awareness of the Divine your perspective on time changes. Uncertainty can be the cause of a lack of belief in God. In generations past our culture has had more of an awareness of God and lived with more certainty. The bible is not just a story book for the present moment, it contains the past, the present, and the future in it. The Holy Spirit can give us a perspective that holds the past, the present, and the future, and allows us to see God’s whole picture, despite what we may be feeling or experiencing around us or in our lives.   Trials and persecution can make it difficult to see the whole picture, but I believe that it’s a gift of God to live with this perspective. Unbelief can hinder us from “seeing it all” and insecurities and weaknesses can also disable us from living with this certainty. Also the fear of death, or impending doom, can erase God’s perspective of the future, because our minds get clouded with fear, and we are not able to perceive reality prope

Why has the church lost its capacity and power?

  The church has modernized itself and in the process has lost something very valuable. It has lost its capacity to be personable. The way we reach lost souls is by seeing them, by getting to know them, and by recognizing them, but people are getting lost in the church. The church has become a busy place and is also becoming a less holy place. To make disciples we have to get to know people, and technology in the church is depersonalizing souls, and depersonalizing God for them. Faith becomes a marketable commodity, whereas in the past, churches and their leaders nourished and valued personal faith. While faith is still valued, it’s becoming something that is marketable, which reminds me of the story of Jesus in the temple turning over tables (Matthew 21:12-17). The problem isn’t that the church doesn’t work or doesn’t want to share the gospel, it could be how we are doing it. The church is currently being run like a business, and each Christian metaphorically speaking has a profit val