Skip to main content

Mental Illness and the Church.

I have been suffering from a severe mental illness since 1999. I won't go into too many details here as to how I got sick, but some information might be necessary. I was 25 years old when I voluntarily admitted myself into the mental health unit at my local hospital, and my brief stay there and in another hospital changed my life. I remember when the crisis hit, I felt like I was going to die. I was blessed to get the chief of psychiatry at Markham Stouffville Hospital at the time Dr. David Koczerginski, a young man at the time and very helpful. While I was in the crisis room, (that's what I like to call it) Dr. Koczerginski assessed me and determined that I was in actual crisis and got a room ready for me right away. I was subsequently assessed by a male psychiatric nurse, whom I remember very well and I remember telling him I couldn't gain control of my thoughts they just seemed to be flying every where! He got me settled for the night, took me and my parents around the unit, showed me the TV room, the kitchen, the dining room and the music room. I remembering telling my dad I felt safe and that I would be ok staying there. I went to bed peacefully that night, my body being in a little pain, but my mind in total peace.

Because of some memories which I have unconsciously supressed I can't remember exactly how long I stayed there because of the original trauma. For this blog, lets just say I was there for two weeks. One event which I remember very well was when my doctor was trying to come up with a diagnoses for me. One day, (in the unit) he brought me to a big room that was filled with doctors and the original male psychiatric nurse that was there when I was admitted, there might have been others who were nurses and they all one by one asked me one question. We were all sitting on chairs. I felt like a celebrity. I'm not sure if the next event happened before or after that event, but my doctor brought me into a small room in the unit and reveled his diagnoses to me.

Without these psychiatric professionals trained in psychiatric medicine and treatment, and the emergency staff at the hospital the night I was admitted I wouldn't be here. My point to say is that during a crisis that involves serious mental health issues you need people who are really trained to help. Now to my tile of this blog, Mental Illness and the Church. I get the feeling that there are a lot of people suffering inside the church from depression. I am not a doctor and I know of Pastors who have helped me with my depression after I was diagnosed and living with it for a long time. I do believe there is a place for the church to speak to people like me who suffer from depression, with the word of God and the tools the church uses. However, I believe there is a fine line when it comes to treating people. First, legally the church cannot treat patients. That should be obvious, but part of what is happening now might not be totally legit.

If you have just discovered that you are depressed and you haven't gone to see a doctor yet, some deranged Pastor in a church could tell you, you are depressed because of sin. (remember I am talking about clinical depression, or someone who is suicidal.) As a person who has been suffering from a psychotic depression for 17 years now, I can tell you with all the honesty in the world if that would of happened to me in the middle of my crisis, I would of been very confused! I probably would of said "Yes, I know I am a sinner and that Jesus died for my sins, but what does that have to do with me being in the hospital right now?"
 Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a place for the church in a depressed Christians life, but for me that came after. I am not saying in this blog that telling someone who is struggling with depression that a good dose of repentance isn't good for them. Repentance is what got me to accept my mental illness. I still have it, but I have repented not because I got depressed, but because I desired God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

I think for suicidal people or mentally ill people the focus for the church should immediately be one of compassion and acceptance and even forgiveness. Not a sin issue. I say that because I can. I don't care how many sins I committed before I was professionally treated and diagnosed, I just didn't want to die. You can talk to me about my sins as much as you want, but the guilt of being depressed is enough itself to bring me to repentance. It might be real guilt, but being incapacitated by irrational thoughts might look sinful, but it isn't for me. I was a Christian before my crisis, so in essence my sins were already forgiven. The point of this blog (coming from someone who has experienced it) is be very careful when someone comes to you and says they are depressed or suicidal. The last thing you want to do is give some hurting soul a guilt trip, instead of sharing with them, how much God loves them and has a plan for them to live. That they can be forgiven of all there sins, and God accepts them just as they are. Then the right thing for anybody in the Church would be to tell these people to seek out proper psychiatric help and assistance. Plus it's the legal thing to do. This is Mike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Bible Verses on Money.

  Bible verses about money. I bet you didn’t think the bible said that? Proverbs 23:5 When you glance at wealth, it disappears, for it makes wings for itself and flies like an eagle to the sky.  1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. Proverbs 13:11 Wealth quickly gained is quickly wasted — easy come, easy go! But if you gradually gain wealth, you will watch it grow. Psalm 62:10 Don’t make your living by extortion or put your hope in stealing. And if your wealth increases, don’t make it the centre of your life. Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again. Malachi 3:10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that

How Believing in God Changes Your Perspective on Time.

  When you have an awareness of the Divine your perspective on time changes. Uncertainty can be the cause of a lack of belief in God. In generations past our culture has had more of an awareness of God and lived with more certainty. The bible is not just a story book for the present moment, it contains the past, the present, and the future in it. The Holy Spirit can give us a perspective that holds the past, the present, and the future, and allows us to see God’s whole picture, despite what we may be feeling or experiencing around us or in our lives.   Trials and persecution can make it difficult to see the whole picture, but I believe that it’s a gift of God to live with this perspective. Unbelief can hinder us from “seeing it all” and insecurities and weaknesses can also disable us from living with this certainty. Also the fear of death, or impending doom, can erase God’s perspective of the future, because our minds get clouded with fear, and we are not able to perceive reality prope

Why has the church lost its capacity and power?

  The church has modernized itself and in the process has lost something very valuable. It has lost its capacity to be personable. The way we reach lost souls is by seeing them, by getting to know them, and by recognizing them, but people are getting lost in the church. The church has become a busy place and is also becoming a less holy place. To make disciples we have to get to know people, and technology in the church is depersonalizing souls, and depersonalizing God for them. Faith becomes a marketable commodity, whereas in the past, churches and their leaders nourished and valued personal faith. While faith is still valued, it’s becoming something that is marketable, which reminds me of the story of Jesus in the temple turning over tables (Matthew 21:12-17). The problem isn’t that the church doesn’t work or doesn’t want to share the gospel, it could be how we are doing it. The church is currently being run like a business, and each Christian metaphorically speaking has a profit val